Choosing The Right Surgeon
What does it mean to be “Board Certified”?
The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery is the only certifying board exam devoted to examining a surgeon’s skill in cosmetic surgery of the face and body. It is an independent subspecialty board that examines and certifies physicians in general cosmetic surgery.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Spend a full year training exclusively and comprehensively in cosmetic surgery
- Perform a minimum of 300 individual cosmetic surgery procedures of the face, breast and body.
- Receive additional in-depth training in non-surgical cosmetic procedures, including Botox & fillers, laser resurfacing, and skin care
- Perform and document an additional minimum set of cosmetic procedures following completion of the 1-year fellowship
- Pass a comprehensive, rigorous 2-day oral and written exam covering all aspects of cosmetic surgery
For more information on the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, consult their web site at www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org.
When choosing a cosmetic surgeon, there are several questions you should ask the surgeon and yourself.
- Is this surgeon board certified or board eligible?
- What training do you have in the procedure I am considering?
- How many times have you performed this procedure?
- Does this surgeon feel right to me?
- Do I think the recommendations by the surgeon are safe and right for me?
- Throughout the process, will I be comfortable asking the surgeon any question?
- Will I be able to disclose my full medical history and habits to the surgeon?
Safety and the Operating Facility
- Where do you perform the surgery?
- What is your facility’s level of accreditation? JCAHO, AAAHC, AAAASF provide operating facility certification.
- If undergoing general anesthesia, what are the qualifications of the anesthetist? You want a Board Certified Anesthesiologist or a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).
- Is the staff friendly and supportive?
- Did I receive invaluable materials to prepare me for the risks of surgery and recovery?
- Have all fees been clearly stated?
- Did I receive a prompt reply when contacting the practice?